Wednesday, June 17, 2009

rain, rain, go away.

it has been raining the past few days here at camp, which is a big bummer for me. not so much for me personally... i live and work in the same building so i dont have to go outside. but, for the leaders and campers here this week (which includes 3 fabulous friends of mine that make me smile daily) because i know how hard it can be to lead and be positive when the weather is less than optimal. I hope that the rest of the week is better for them.

im going to try and keep it cronological, although that may not be achieved.

work has been going really well. Courtney is great, and we still have a lot of fun. here are some pictures of us working:



we spend about an hour in the freezer (with breaks of course) once a week cutting ice cream for big cookie (we actually did that today, too). We take 3 gallon tubs of vanilla ice cream and with a huge knife cut it into 10 slices, one for each big cookie, which ends up looking like this:



a few days ago, we found these hats in the linen closet and decided to have some fun.


this is us looking like awesome bakers


this is me being cute in cooler 1 (we have 3)

this is liz and jiwon, the AM cooks (they got chef hats)



this is courtney stiring pancake batter that we made (YL camp is so legit that we make our pancake batter from scratch.... get some.)

our dining hall and pits WC kids have been working hard, so court and I made them cupcakes in ice cream cones as a "thanks, and keep up the good work" treat from the kitchen!




its started to get warmer here at camp, so i got my fan out of my trunk and hooked it up to my bed:


to the right is my fan, duct taped to the ladder of the top bunk. its relatively ghetto, but 100% effective. I also have it plugged into 1 of 3 extention cords for one outlet..... in 1 outlet, i have the following plugged in through a series of extention cords:
  • phone charger
  • computer
  • alarm clock
  • reading lamp
  • fan
im pretty sure that cant be safe, but i havent blown a fuse yet so im ok with it.

last saturday was my first day off in a while (and my first official day off on my official day off, saturday, instead of some random day) and in the AM Joey, Christine, and Steph and I went to Fargo. Joey had to get fitted for a suit for his friend's wedding, and the girls went shopping at the mall. We then enjoyed a variety of lunch options (Taco Bell, Wendy's, and I got Qdoba) and Steph also got her nose pierced, which looks awesome.

We came back from Fargo and went to Ben's grandparent's lake house, which is just down the road a bit, and also on Pelican Lake. We went out on the boat, came in, and went back out but this time girl on the boat and the boys (now including Jose and Ben) went sailing.

sunday was day 1 of our first week of young life, and it was quite the day. court and i have finally gotten a rhythm that allows us to get work done fast... too bad we only have a week and a half left to do it! at the end of the day was the water show, which is every night 1, to show campers all the water related ammenities you can do here at castaway. one of them is parasailing... and i got to go last sunday! it was my first time. here are some pics:


me, katya, and lindsey b on the parasail boat


the captains of the parasail boat, joey (standing) and ben


the view once we lifted off the boat.... i like it with pud waving and joey looking happy that we are up in the air/we didnt screw it up


a self pic is a hard thing to do when you are scared you are going to drop your camera because you are 200-250 feet in the air.... but this is the best one of me and lins.


a view as we were flying...
sunset is the perfect time to be 200 feet in the air!

some cool water we saw as we went around the lake

trying to give you a vantage point of how high we were

then today is the famed "day that never ends". it is also my favorite food day: pancakes for breakfast, tacos for lunch, and burgers for dinner with big cookie. there is also tableau (where kids get to see all the work crew and summer staff dressed up as, for this session, 80's, and then they go back to their cabins and dress 80's for dinner and the rest of the night.) then there is the opera, which is a program thing with skits/singing, then there is a dance followed by ice cream sundaes. its a longer day for me because of the sundaes.... we made 375 of them from 9-9:30 tonight (there are 356 campers/leaders) and then i just threw away about 100 of them. haha. such is life.


but this post has taken about 2 hours because of all the pictures and the slow internet in the windjammer, and this is the earliest i have gone to bed in 3 days, so im taking advantage of it.

hope you are well :)

shout out to joey....
love,
em

3 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! I think the parasailing would scare the crap out of me though...just being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So - your self portrait scared and high in the air is great - way to go.
    Also - sounds like everything is going awesome! I think we might be doing 80's tableau session 3 also... not sure... And there's internet in the Windjammer?! Can we not tell the WC that?... They'll be all over it if they know... ha. And are the girls WC just a few doors down from the girl interns? Does that mean we get to be sort-of-housemates for 3 weeks? that'd be great. B/c of course I will be living with the girls! ok. So, excited to say the least and will keep following your blog. I have to go update mine now -eek. ha:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that....... I don't like heights (but I downhill ski???) Sounds like a blast

    ReplyDelete